Spring Into Action: Property Inspection
As we look out our windows and see everything covered in pollen one thing is certain: Spring is in the air! While you may be preparing your sinuses for a Louisiana Spring, did you know there are certain steps you should be taking to prepare your place of worship as well? Even the Lord’s house needs a little work from time to time.
One of the most prized possessions in Louisiana is our air conditioning systems. Now is a great time to look over your unit before you put it to work in the upcoming warmer months.
– Have a qualified HVAC technician come inspect your unit.
– Keep AC & heat units free of any leaves, pollen, grass, or debris. (shut off power before preforming any maintenance)
– Regularly check and change your filters.
– Check coils for any wear and tear and check drains for any clogs.
– Inspect your unit for any insect nesting in or around the unit.
Slips and falls are one of the most frequent claims. They are the number two cause of work related fatalities next to motor vehicle accidents. The claims can be very costly and often result in lawsuits due to the high cost of medical care and loss of wages. You can take preventative measures to keep your organization and members safe by doing the following:
– Keeping parking areas and sidewalks well lit.
– Checking for uneven surfaces in the parking lot.
– Check for cracks in the concrete.
– Secure all handrails.
– Check for loose steps.
– Remove any debris or limbs.
Roof and trees are another issue that generate numerous claims every year. Preventative maintenance can diminish the chance of future problems. Here are tips to help prevent a claim on your property:
– Inspect your roof for any missing or damaged shingles.
– Check for inadequate flashing or caulking around vents, chimneys, screws (metal roof), and other roof penetrations.
– Inspect gutters, downspouts, and eaves to ensure they are free of debris and draining properly.
– Check for any water damage on the inside or outside of the building.
– Have a professional trim trees overhead any power lines and inspect your property for any rotten trees or limbs that need to be removed.
Making regular property inspections can help deter claims and keep your members safe. If you would like a detailed maintenance checklist visit our website at www.louisianachurchinsurance.com or call our office at 1-800-256-0700.
Sources: GuideOne, Service Champions, National Safety Council